Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lost in Translation

uri-i-nal (yer-en-el) n. and v. a declaration concerning the current status or location of the person being spoken to. "If you think urinal lot of trouble now, just wait till Daddy gets home!"
~Jeff Foxworthy~
from his book, "Learning to talk more Gooder"

It sure would be nice if the whole world knew how to talk "more gooder" as comedian Jeff Foxworthy says. I know it beats talking badder!Today, while sitting in the bookstore, I watched a little guy with skinny tanned legs and a summer crew cut get torn down by his parents with the most hateful words I have ever heard said to a small child not even five years of age. The redneck in me wanted to deck the tar out of them but since I was in the New Age bookstore of a friend, I remained quiet and listened while sending them love. He was so cute, well behaved, bored half out of his mind and tired. Considering all of that, I thought he was quite well mannered and patient. Obviously, both parents cared deeply for their son and wanted to set a good example as I listened, probably to impress me as well, but their form of discipline was so brutal and non effective. They didn't know how powerful words are to our environment. How easy it is to change a situation with our breath and tone. Rather than state the obvious to our children such as, "you are a bad boy! when we get home, you are going to be real sorry. don't touch anything we told you, why don't you ever listen? you make mommy cry because you are so bad." I could feel my own body react and shut down, can you imagine how this boy felt?
We have the power to build or destroy with our mouth. It is much easier for our children to hear complimentary words such as, "I know this is boring and you are tired, we are almost finished." or, "you are such a patient young man, thankyou for not touching the books." I guarantee the results will be fabulous and you will be on your way to becoming a fine tuned magician.

"Happiness is a how, not a what; a talent, not an object."
~Hermann Hesse~

No comments:

Post a Comment