Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cafe Gratitude in Kansas City

"Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of bein' a king and then became one?"
                "I am", I cried  "I am" said I.  ~Neil Diamond~ 
    The joy of seeing someone's dream come true piece by  piece is a good feeling. From the first meetup where we played a game of handing our cash donations to each other to create a flow of abundance to the last carefully laid tile on the restaurant's wall. Many baby steps and big steps were made before becoming Cafe Gratitude in Kansas City, the new restaurant located at 333 Southwest Boulevard in Kansas City, Missouri. Owners Mike and Natalie George have done a wonderful job of including the community into their vision and offering customers healthy vegan and vegetarian meals. How many restaurants throw a pre opening party for their patrons with live music, wine and food samples? The place was packed inside and out, people hugging and saying hello like old friends. Matthew Engelhart, the California based Cafe Gratitude owner came to celebrate with the MakePeace band who toured with Jason Mraz.( Jason had promised to sing at the party but that was before his pre-fame status) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=52RdqAnNuOM
  Visiting Cafe Gratitude I was greeted with happy smiles and asked the question of the day, "What is your life for?" The waitress left me to think of an answer while she returned with water and a menu where everything is prefixed with the words I Am. So many choices. I Am Humble, I Am Transformed, but I decided to try I Am Nourished, a live sandwich with almond pate, seasonal vegetables, avocado and mustard sauce on live curry bread with a side salad. The bread looked like a giant cracker but was soft and flavorful. My friends and I shared the turtle cheesecake made with raw cashews, simply delicious on a plate with the words "what are you grateful for?" Our waitress returned to refill our glasses and asked if we were ready to answer the question of the day. "What is your life for?" At the same moment, I overheard the people next to our table say it was their son's eighteenth birthday. We broke out in song and sang happy birthday to him and by then I had an answer for the question of the day. Life is to be more love! Spread the word, there's a new restaurant in town and they're spreading the love. I Am... going again!

No comments:

Post a Comment